Drug & Alcohol Program / Addiction Services
In order to prevent or address the issues of substance abuse, an employer or individual must be educated and know the warning signs, and what to do if someone they know needs their help. With an increase of drug use in the workplace, many companies are now implementing drug and alcohol policies for workers to establish a drug-free workplace. In order to ensure your companies success in this, you must have 3 components to your program.
- A Drug & Alcohol Policy is the first step in implementing this program in your company. In this policy you need to clearly specify details and know your provinces and union guidelines, so that you are in compliance with standards, human rights, and legal parameters. Think SMART has professionals that know all these requirements of the law and can design a policy that is right for your companies needs. Our team has implemented policies for the largest government and private organizations and can offer many references so that you feel assured that you made the correct decision in choosing our company. Please call for more information if your are interested in our polices.
- DOT and Non DOT Drug & Alcohol Testing is then needed to quantify the results and ensure compliance with the policy. In order to know if you require DOT testing, you will have to decide if your drivers will travel to the US. If they do, then they will need a DOT Certified Clearance Letter to show that they have been tested and are in compliance with The US Dept of Transportation. Otherwise, most companies simply use Non DOT testing. When any company utilizes the services of Think SMART, we always follow DOT STANDARDS as it is considered the gold standard in testing, and is the standard of practise in all North America. Companies that do not practise this standard can leave your company open to litigation if a problem arises, so please choose your provider wisely. For testing services and more information, please call 1-877-920-8378.
- Last, but not least is addictions counselling through a Substance Abuse Professional. This element of your program is probably the most important in order to ensure your program success. Without this, there is a high incidence of relapse and individuals tend to be out of work longer which costs companies a lot more money. In addressing the individuals substance abuse and psychological issues promptly when the problem is identified, the individual can recover quicker before the problem worsens, and it shows employees that they are supported by their company. Return to duty and follow up testing is also needed here to ensure the employee stays on track during the counselling and recovery phase. To speak with a SAP or Substance Abuse Professional today, please call for more information.
Now that you are aware of the many aspects of a DRUG & ALCOHOL PROGRAM, please review the information below as an educational reference and also to learn more about our company Think SMART. From this you will see why we are quickly becoming the leaders in the industry because of our knowledge and our commitment to our clients and the industry.
DRUG & ALCOHOL TESTING
Think SMART offers a wide range of drug testing options including testing of urine, oral fluid and hair samples through our SAMSHA certified laboratories, located in Canada and the United States. In addition to the types of testing we offer, we also provide testing for a variety of situations such as random, post incident, reasonable cause, family intervention, and private court ordered cased.
Depending on the individual or company requirements, our highly trained medical personnel can provide results in as little as 5 minutes using our Point Of Collection Test (POCT) kits. Otherwise, conventional laboratory testing yields results in 24-48 hours. To ensure that our clients receive the highest quality of service possible, our collection protocols follow DOT regulations. This standardized process was implemented in Canada by The US Department of Transportation (US DOT) in 1996, as a result of the NAFTA agreement, and is considered to be the gold standard in drug testing.
URINE DRUG PANELS (Lab Based & POCT Panels)
- Lab Based DOT & POCT 5 Panel includes marijuana, cocaine, phencyclidine, amphetamines (amphetamines, methamphetamines, MDMA aka ecstasy, MDA, MDEA), and opiates (codeine, morphine, and 6-Acetylmorphine).
- Lab Based & POCT Non DOT 10 Panel includes cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, marijuana, methadone, phencyclidine, opiates, barbituates, benzodiazepines, and tricylic antidepressants.
- Lab Based & POCT Non DOT 12 Panel includes cocaine, amphetamines, methamphetamines, marijuana, methadone, phencyclidine, opiates, ecstasy, oxycodone, propoxphene, barbituates, benzodiazepines.
- SPECIAL REQUEST – Lab Based Non DOT Healthcare Panel can include meperidine, tramadol, and fentanyl.
- SPECIAL REQUEST – Lab Based Non DOT Sports Panel can include Androgenic-Anabolic Steroids (AAS) such as testosterone, nandrolone (19-nortestosterone) and boldenone (1-dehydrotestosterone). It can also include Clenbuterol; two masking agents, Prebenecid and Epitestosterone; and two anti-estrogens, Formestane and Testolactone.
- Home Drug Testing Kits are available for sale. These are the same high quality kits we use for POCT testing. Many companies use them for in house testing programs, or confidential testing of family members. Call to order your kits today at the best price, and we can ship them immediately.
*Please note that urine alcohol can be added to any urine panels above
HAIR DRUG PANEL
- Lab Based Non DOT 5 Panel includes marijuana, cocaine, phencyclidine, amphetamines (amphetamines, methamphetamines, MDMA aka ecstasy, MDA, MDEA), and opiates (codeine, morphine, and 6-Acetylmorphine).
ORAL FLUID PANEL
- Lab Based & Express 5 Panel includes marijuana, cocaine, phencyclidine, amphetamines, and opiates.
BENEFITS OF A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE POLICY
- Help identify key employees and prevent the hiring of individuals who may pose a safety risk.
- Deter drug and alcohol use in the workplace.
- Create a positive work environment and show employees that their company takes responsibility and values their safety.
- Acknowledge substance abuse as it arises and provide solutions for individuals by providing assistance and return to work follow up.
- Comply with COR requirements and provincial regulations.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. In the event of a near miss or accident, how long do I have to test?
In this situation it is extremely important to test the individual involved as quickly as possible because the drugs and alcohol are metabolizing within their body, and therefore their drug levels are decreasing rapidly. Thinking SMART means acting quickly, but if it is not possible to test immediately, DOT guidelines state that as long as drug tests are completed within 32 hours and alcohol tests are completed within 8 hours, then it is within compliance.
2. I want to implement random testing in my company, how do I make the selection fair?
Many companies simply appoint an OH&S company such as Think SMART to be their program administrator who manages the employee pool selection process as well as their collection data. A third party administrator also eliminates the perception an employee has regarding their employers breach of trust if the employer is involved in the selection process.
3. If I was at a party where marijuana was used, will I show positive in a drug test?
No, you would not test positive because even if you had trace levels of THC from the second had exposure, it would not reach the Level Of Detection (LOC), which is 50ng/ml in most laboratories. This is the most common excuse for a positive test, but it was never accepted in court.
4. What is an MRO?
An MRO or Medical Review Officer is a specially trained physician who has a very important role in the verification process of drug testing. When a specimen is tested in our approved laboratory and it is determines that a sample has a drug metabolite present, it is up to the MRO to determine if the employee was using the drug in question for lawful medical reasons, or was simply abusing. Depending on the MRO’s findings, the employee is either issued a clearance letter and the test is negative, or it is regarded as a positive test and the employee’s company is immediately notified.
5. I used a home drug testing kit and the line was faint, does that mean that my teen has used drugs?
Typically as long as you can see the test line, then the test is considered negative. However it is important to note that although these kits are very reliable with an accuracy rate of up to 98%, they cannot provide the accuracy of laboratory tests, which is confirmed and accepted in a court of law. Still they are widely used in prescreening, but should always be followed up with a laboratory confirmation test if legal liability exists.
DRUG DETECTION TIMETABLE
Common Drug Names
|Amphetamine||Biphetamine, Dexedrine; Black Beauties, White Crosses||Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obesity, narcolepsy||2-5 days|
|Cocaine||Coke, Crack, Snow||Local anesthetic, vasoconstrictor||2-5 days|
|Methamphetamine||Desoxyn; Crank, Crystal, Glass, Ice, Speed||ADHD, obesity, narcolepsy||3-5 days|
|Methylphenidate||Ritalin||ADHD, narcolepsy||1-2 days|
|Nicotine||Habitrol patch, Nicorette gum, Nicotrol spray, Prostep patch; Cigars, Cigarettes, Smokeless tobacco, Snuff, Spit tobacco||Treatment for nicotine dependence||4-10 days|
|Hallucinogens and Other Compounds|
|LSD||Acid, Microdot||None||7-10 days|
|Mescaline||Buttons, Cactus, Mesc, Peyote||None||5-7 days|
|Phencyclidine & Analogs||PCP; Angel Dust, Boat, Hog, Love Boat||Anesthetic (veterinary)||2-8 days|
|Psilocybin||Magic Mushroom, Purple Passion, Shrooms||None||5-7 days|
|Amphetamine variants||DOB, DOM, MDA, MDMA; Adam, Ecstasy, STP, XTC||None||5-7 days|
|Marijuana||Blunt, Grass, Herb, Pot, Reefer, Chronic, Smoke, Weed||Limited, Analgesic||See Marijuana Usage Chart|
|Hashish||Hash||Limited, Analgesic||See Hashish Usage Chart|
|Tetrahydrocannabinol||Marinol, THC||Antiemetic||See THC Usage Chart|
|Anabolic Steroids||Testosterone (T/E ratio), Stanazolol, Nandrolone||Hormone Replacement Therapy||Oral: up to 3 weeks (for testosterone and others); Injected: up to 3 months (Nandrolone up to 9 months)|
|Opiates and Morphine Derivatives|
|Codeine||Tylenol w/codeine, Robitussin A-C, Empirin w/codeine, Fiorinal w/codeine||Analgesic, antitussive||5-7 days|
|Heroin||Diacetylmorphine; Horse, Smack||None||5-7 days|
|Methadone||Amidone, Dolophine, Methadose||Analgesic, treatment for opiate dependence||5-7 days|
|Morphine||Roxanol, Duramorph||Analgesic||5-7 days|
|Opium||Laudanum, Paregoric; Dover’s Powder||Analgesic, antidiarrheal||5-7 days|
|Alcohol||Beer, Wine, Liquor||Antidote for methanol poisoning||24-48 hours|
|Barbiturates||Amytal, Nembutal, Seconal, Phenobarbital; Barbs||Anesthetic, anticonvulsant, hypnotic, sedative||2 days – 4 weeks|
|Benzodiazepines||Ativan, Halcion, Librium, Rohypnol, Valium; Roofies, Tranks, Xanax||Antianxiety, anticonvulsant, hypnotic, sedative||7-10 days|
|Methaqualone||Quaalude, Ludes||None||2 weeks|
Marijuana Detection Time Based on Usage
|Usage at 1 time only||5-8 days|
|Usage at 2-4 times per month||11-18 days|
|Usage at 2-4 times week||23-35 days|
|Usage at 5-6 times per week||33-48 days|
|Daily Usage||49-63 days|
For more information on drug testing or to make an appointment, please call